YAW! (Young Adults Wichita)
YAW (Young Adults Wichita) is a ministry of the Wichita Minster led by Deacon Dillon Green. It includes members from St. James, St. John’s, Good Shepherd, and St. Stephen’s. We meet weekly, currently Mondays at 6 p.m. (time/dates subject to change). If you know anyone interested in participating, please connect them with Deacon Dillon Green at 256-762-5110 or at email@example.com. If you aren’t a young adult (18-35) and want to be involved, we are always looking for people to provide meals for the group each week. Instructions are to prepare for 6-10 people. If you’re interested in helping out that way, contact Deacon Dillon!
Minster-wide News and Projects!
Welcome Home Basket
As an expression of the Minster’s relationship to Breakthrough ESS and as an expression of our Resurrection joy this Easter season, the churches of the Wichita Minster will be putting together Welcome Home Easter baskets for rehoused adults! Breakthrough ESS rehouses unhoused adults at a rate of about one adult per week, so, taking our cue from the 52 weeks of the year and the Great 50 Days of Easter, each church will be attempting to collect and assemble 13 baskets, for a total of 52 baskets! However, there is NO barrier to participation—not everything on the list has to go into every basket (though that would be ideal), and no church’s contributions will be unwelcome if they don’t hit the 13 basket mark! Our goal is to get all or as many of these finished as we can by Pentecost on June 5th, which marks the end of the Easter season! We’re looking to have a kind of gathering around that time in celebration of the work and ministry of the Wichita Minster and Breakthrough ESS, so look for more information to come on that!
Here is the list of items that Breakthrough has indicated would be ideal for a Welcome Home basket:
- Laundry basket
- Bath towels
- Wash cloths
- Hand towels (kitchen and bathroom)
- Dish soap and hand soap
- Broom and dustpan
- Disinfectant spray or wipes
- Shelf safe food to last a couple of days while they get settled to allow them time to get to a food bank or grocery shop as well as staples that are unlikely to come from a food bank, like seasoning, coffee, sugar, etc.
- Small dish set
- Pots and pans
- Food storage containers
- Ziploc bags
- Saran wrap
- Toilet Bowl brush
- Knife set
Note about storage and distribution: Breakthrough ESS will have a rota of churches (alphabetically, first Good Shepherd, then St. James, St. John’s, and St. Stephen’s) that they will contact in turn when they need a basket. Each parish should have their baskets prepared, stored at their church in a convenient location, and on hand by Pentecost to deliver to Breakthrough upon their request and a contact person to manage the process of contact and delivery.
The Minster participates together in all kinds of ministries already!
- ShowerUp ICT is a Shower ministry provided at St. John’s every Thursday night from 6-7:30. It will be on hiatus after October 28 due to cold weather and will be back in the Spring, though there may be opportunities to volunteer once a month, so look out for those! If you have any questions, contact Mike McFerrin at 316-516-6183 or Deacon Dillon Green at 256-762-5110.
- Sandwich Saturdays is a food ministry that provides Sandwiches and other foods to the unhoused population and anyone else in need in downtown Wichita! Different churches and groups choose Saturdays to make Sandwich lunch bags and pass them out at St. John’s Saturday mornings at 11:00. If you have any questions, contact Joan Bledsoe at 316-932-5568 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Breakthrough ESS is a member of the Wichita Minster and we are always looking for ways to support them in any way we can. They are looking to make sure their pantry and kitchen are stocked for the winter, so they are in need of some supplies: vitamins in bulk, any large can of fruits or vegetables, large juice containers, cases of bottled water, Spaghetti O’s/canned spaghetti, peanut butter/cheese crackers, instant oatmeal, canned chili , beef stew (easy tab top), small individual can openers, hot chocolate packages, Vienna sausages, applesauce packs, breakfast bars, canned chicken (easy tab top), Canned tuna (easy tab top), canned ham (easy tab top), Ensure packets, and baby formula. Any questions can be directed to Rachel Newell at Rachel.email@example.com.
Weekly Minster Morning Prayer!
Deacon Dillon Green leads Minster Morning Prayer on Zoom every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. You can join live on Zoom or watch it streamed on Facebook at facebook.com/wichitaminster. The Zoom link is: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85465386325?pwd=L2J4eHZMZ0lkWFJVYTc4b0h4OTI0Zz09.